American Bridge Company
Job Title: Commercial Construction Manager
Department: Field Operations
Reports To: Project Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revision Date: 08/06/2021
The Commercial Construction Manager under the direction of the Project Manager is responsible for the overall planning, coordination, and control of a commercial project from beginning to completion. They are responsible for providing supervisory support, leadership, oversight and strategic direction to the Subcontractors, Project Control, Cost Engineers, and Superintendents to ensure a functionally and financially viable project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee total construction effort to ensure project is constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule. Includes interfacing with client representatives, A/E representatives, subcontractors, and security.
- Plan, coordinate and/or supervise activities of all company personnel on assigned project(s) to make certain work is completed under budget and on schedule.
- Authorize/approve all project personnel transactions (hiring, transfers, wages, etc.), purchase requisitions, change requests, to ensure corporate/business unit objectives are met.
- Ensure all company, client, and project policies, procedures, and standards are followed, to make certain, adherence to core values.
- Maintain official project log and documentation files in order to track project status.
- Analyze training needs and opportunities and work to ensure needs are being met.
- Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment.
- Evaluates specifications to plan procedures, starting and completion times, and staffing requirements for each phase of construction.
- Assembles members of organization (supervisory, clerical, engineering, cost control, and other workers) at start of project.
- Orders procurement of tools, equipment, and materials to be delivered at specified times to conform to work schedules.
- Directs supervisory personnel and subcontractors engaged in planning and executing work procedures, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays.
- Oversees supervisory personnel to resolve complaints and grievances within work force.
- Manages supervisory and engineering personnel, inspectors, and suppliers to resolve construction problems and improve construction methods. Inspects work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and the adherence to construction schedules.
- Prepares or reviews reports on progress, materials used and costs, and adjusts work schedules as indicated by reports.
- Acts as public spokesperson interfacing with concerned public and regulatory officials.
- Conducts construction activities within federal, state, and local environmental rules and regulations.
- Responsible to follow OSHA compliance and ensure that staff is also following OSHA compliance.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to legally work in the Bahamas
- Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post offer drug test.
- Must be willing to work safely and keep OSHA recordable incidents to a minimum.
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry standards and specialty design software; must be proficient with MS Office, Procore and JD Edwards
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively plan and organize to meet project deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspect of construction (technology, equipment, methods), company policies, procedures and standards; and union jurisdiction, labor agreements, negotiation skills essential.
- Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), estimating and forecasting software.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Business Administration, or related field.
- Minimum twelve (12) years’ experience, working with a variety of disciplines including engineers, designers, superintendents, and agency representatives.
Management of Supervisory and Engineering Personnel
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Current driver's license
- A PE license is a plus
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts related to structural engineering and related calculations. Individual should some level of business acumen, including knowledge of operating expenses, profit, etc. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word-Processing software, reporting tools related to databases. Must have the ability to learn design software programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk.
American Bridge Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection is based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. American Bridge does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristics.