The Marine Superintendent will have oversight of the labor on construction projects. Design-build experience is a must as well as a proven track record of managing multiple crews. Should be able to show results in ensuring work is well planned, executed and with exceptional quality while working safely and delivering projects on time and under budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages craft labor to include Forepersons, Operators/Drivers, Welders, Carpenters/Finishers and Laborers. Is responsible for the selection, direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Strong understanding of heavy marine construction, piling, pre-cast/steel girder erection and precast concrete structures.
- Work with field engineers, project engineers to ensure work is completing in accordance to predetermined schedule. Discusses means and methods with team members and formulates work instructions.
- Effectively manages crew members, production activities, and craft labor to include Forepersons, Operators/Drivers, Welders, Carpenters/Finishers and Laborers. Is responsible for the selection, direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Ensures construction is adhering to specifications and plans.
- Read, understand, interpret, and enforce safety policies and practices.
- Read and understand plans, specifications, shop drawings and local building codes.
- Schedules and documents all required inspections, quality testing, or other compliance requirements.
- Comply with and document permits and inspections.
- Completes daily reports such as units complete, safety reports, EEO meetings and weekly unit cost worksheets.
- Read and understand project schedules and generate two-week construction schedules weekly
- Schedule and order materials, inspections and manpower in order to meet project schedules and specifications.
- Inspects work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and the adherence to construction schedules.
- Confers with and directs personnel and subcontractors engaged in planning and executing work, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays.
- Maintain a knowledge of equipment used on the job including basic understanding of equipment limits and designed purposes.
- Complete regular performance reviews for employees in a complete and timely manner. Ensures the employee understands the review, signs the review form and is provided a copy for his/her records.
- Provide training to employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Confers with personnel to resolve complaints and grievances within work force.
- Attend weekly project meetings and participate actively.
- Experienced in scheduling, ordering, field supervision, safety management, quality control, and budgeting of all phases of civil construction.
- This position must demonstrate strong leadership, organizational and time management skills, as well as have strong communication and client service
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to legally work in the Bahamas
- Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post offer drug test.
- Must be willing to work safely and keep OSHA recordable incidents to a minimum.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or equivalent experience. Eight (8) to ten (10) years’ experience of heavy/marine/bridge construction experience, proven leadership skills, knowledge of piling, precast/steel girder erection and precast concrete structures, outstanding management and communication skills, exceptional professional judgment, ability to multitask, prioritize and drive teams to success.
Management of Forepersons, Operators and Laborers
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts related to structural engineering and related calculations. Individual should some level of business acumen, including knowledge of operating expenses, profit, etc. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, reporting tools related to databases. Must have the ability to learn design software programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk.
American Bridge is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/H/V